Applied Science KS5
This course will provide you with a broad understanding of vocationally-related sciences to support your progression post 18. It will prepare you to take up employment in the applied science sector, either directly or via higher education, helping you to develop transferable skills such as problem-solving, research and communication.
You will cover topics such as:
- Scientific principles associated with the application of biology, chemistry and physics
- Experimental and practical techniques recognised by higher education institutions and employers to be most important
- The roles and skills of scientists, and the public and media perception of science.
What qualification will you take?
AQA Level 3 Extended Certificate in Applied Science
What does the course consist of?
The course is split into six units:
- Key concepts in science
- Applied experimental techniques
- Science in the modern world
- The human body
- Investigating science
- Microbiology or Medical Physics or Organic Chemistry
How will you be assessed?
You will take an external exam for each unit. Each exam is 1 hour 30 minutes and contains a range of different question types from multiple choice, short answer and extended answer. Each unit is worth 16.6% of the final grade.
What can you go on to do?
This qualification is supported by a range of universities. Taken alongside other qualifications, it can fulfil the entry requirements for a number of science-related higher education courses including biomedical, forensic and sports science, as well as nursing. Students will receive a pass, merit or distinction in this course and the qualification is eligible for UCAS points.
To discuss joining UTC Leeds in Year 12 and what A Level and technical qualification options would best suit your interests please contact us.